- Building History John S. Chase Drucie R. Chase Preservation Storytelling Support the Project Rent the Facility
Paying homage to one of its earliest Black students, The University of Texas at Austin (UT) has purchased a historic commercial building designed by John Saunders Chase. As the first Black student to graduate from the School of Architecture and the first licensed Black architect in the state of Texas, Chase built a legacy of courage and community. UT’s Division of Campus and Community Engagement (DCCE) is committed to recognizing and building community connection to the legacy of UT’s first Black students and the larger Austin community. The restoration of the 1 450-square-foot building located at 1191 Navasota St. in central east Austin supports this mission.
Built in 1952, the building is on the National Register of Historic Places, and originally served as the headquarters for the Colored Teachers Association of Texas. Throughout the years, the minimalist-inspired building has boasted a long history of social impact in the Black community, most recently as the House of Elegance. The building will continue its legacy of community engagement by becoming the new home for the public-facing programs of DCCE’s Center for Community Engagement to be housed at the newly named John S. and Drucie R. Chase Building.
The DCCE is dedicated to addressing issues of equity and access in historically underserved communities by stewarding mutually beneficial partnerships. We look forward to fostering innovative programs at the Chase building.
For more information see the Preservation Austin video below and read A Living Legacy: The John S. and Drucie R. Chase Building’s previous life as the Colored Teachers State Association of Texas headquarters.